The Classroom Environment
Hi Parents & Guardians,
With the school year soon approaching, I would like to introduce you to our classroom setup and explain to you some of the rationale behind what is found in our classroom and ways you and your child can most effectively utilize the space and the resources. My philosophy of education is continuously evolving but certainly involves creating a safe space and welcoming environment, where students are able to be themselves, as well as take risks and learn from one another. We are all on a life-long journey of learning and I am excited to have this opportunity to experience it with your children.
The physical classroom is laid out with various seating options for whole group instruction, as well as collaboration with an elbow partner, table group or other grouping within the class. There is also time for individual work which can be done at our back table if students need extra support or they can find a quiet space around the room as well. There are many resources around the room so that students can use them throughout their work and have the choice to utilize the material, such as math manipulatives, if or when they may need them. I would like to encourage your children to make these decisions themselves to further their initiative for learning.
The social atmosphere is one that I want to encourage throughout the school year as we learn more about one another and can have important discussions. Every day we will have a morning meeting to start the day off on the right foot and get the conversation flowing so that we are able to share our views and perspectives and learn more and more from our individual experiences. These discussions will also help me decide on themes and activities for students to complete throughout the year, and provide many opportunities to be collaborative and find commonalities in this learning journey.
To promote emotional well-being, I will be facilitating meditation daily, as well as time for DPA. Our young students often have a lot going on and sometimes do not know how to successfully deal with their emotions. I hope to provide them with the tools necessary so that they are able to self-regulate more effectively. There will be lots of resources around the classroom that your children can utilize, as I introduce them.
Parents, I encourage you to continue reading our classroom blog and responding with any questions. As mentioned, I want to keep the conversation open with your children and will do the same with you. If there are any concerns, please reach out. I will be sending home a questionnaire in the first few days of school to get to know you and your child better. I would also love for you to come into our classroom to visit or join us on upcoming field trips.
I look forward to this upcoming school year!

Comments
Post a Comment