Classroom Schedule



 



Hi Parents & Guardians, 

I have created your child’s schedule for the upcoming school year and wanted to take the time to explain it in more detail for you. 

First, you will notice I have broken down our day by the bell times which are 3 – 100-minute blocks of instruction. We also follow a 5-day cycle that will help us stay on schedule throughout the year. Please note, this schedule is subject to change as there are always disruptions and events happening that may affect our daily routine. 

Second, you will notice the colour-coded schedule. Please note, this was developed in accordance with the Ontario curriculum. Here are some notes on the subjects, time allocation and the integration of subjects: 

  • Math will be taught first thing in the morning, as your children will come with fresh minds, ready to learn. A minimum of 300 minutes needs to be allocated to mathematics instruction throughout the 5-day cycle, with the rest dedicated to mental health practices, math games, inquiry practices, and technological connections. The mathematics curriculum strives to ensure students feel capable and have a positive outlook on the subject. I hope to provide your children with the tools necessary to be great and capable mathematicians. I encourage you to help promote this at home by providing real-life applications of math and encouraging deeper thinking and problem-solving.
  • Language makes up a very big part of our schedule with 100 minutes allocated per day, but you may have also noticed that I have marked out some more specific times where social studies, science and health are integrated. The reason I blocked it out this way, is that many of the teaching I will be providing the students have connections to a variety of curriculum areas. For example, after teaching the substance unit in health, it would be beneficial to connect it to media literacy and create posters to display the negative effects.
  • In this board, your child will be participating in the core French program which will take up 200min of the 5-day cycle.
  • Finally, I left the end of the day open for the arts, religion, and family life.
  • As this is a catholic learning community, we will also be integrating some religious teachings throughout the other subjects.
  • Some other considerations from the schedule are our meditation and DPA. These will be integrated after recess and between blocks to allow your children brain breaks and provide them with resources or tools to help them manage emotions and cope with stressors. Depending on the day and student’s needs, this can be altered to benefit the student's state of learning. 
 If you have any questions, feel free to reach out! 
 Piper

Comments